Monday, May 14, 2007

Knight Life (Peter David)

[**] ISBN: 9780441010776

This got much higher ratings from readers on Amazon.com than I can justify giving it. I guess after reading several of Peter's later works (all based on licensed properties) and after reading the preface he added about all of the work he put into 'improving' this book, I was expecting 300+ pages of intrigue, fun and giggles. The concept certainly seemed to be there. I just don't think this book executed it.

My problems with the story are several: (1) The plot is pedestrian. It never really engaged my interest. It was pretty obvious that Arthur would become mayor of New York. There were too few surprises in how he got there. (2) The characters were stereotypical. We already know Arthur is tragic and heroic and that Morgan Le Fey is wicked. But shouldn't we (or they) know more about why after a thousand or more years? (3) The comedy implied by the situation was never really given a chance to pay off. Either it was far too subtle for my feeble brain, or I was in a bad mood, or it just wasn't there.

Even so, I was glad to read one of Peter David's earlier works (even though it is updated). I did read it all of the way through. I won't stop looking for and reading his other works.

No comments: