Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Incredible Journey (Sheila Burnford)

[***] ISBN: 0385322798

I've actually given this one more star than I really got out of it. That's because I can tell it's a good book. It just didn't do anything for me at this point in time. I like reading more junior material from time to time. And I got this one thinking it would be good research for a story I was considering in about the same genre. But I've put that project on the back burner and the story didn't otherwise click with me.

The animals are genuine characters, even though they don't talk. The situations are realistic, interesting, exciting and well told. I think where the author lost me was on the overall motivation of the animals to just take off on the journey. That may be part of the realism--how do you really know what an animal is thinking? But it made it hard for me to stick with it. Maybe I'll pick it up again sometime.

No comments: