Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

[***] ISBN: 9780684801520

Yes, it's really that Gatsby. I probably read this back in high school, but I have no strong memory of it. I think I probably enjoyed it more this time around. Yet was also disappointing.

The writing is evocative and beautiful. The plot is spun out in an interesting and charming manner, even though it is ultimately quite simple. The characters are richly drawn, if mostly unsympathetic, misguided and tragic. The settings appear sketchy, with only major features and no minor details. This is a book to which to return, in order to learn poetic, lyrical and emotional storytelling.

2 comments:

ironicallyGrace said...

The fact that the author only gives major details and does not dwell on long and drawn out descriptions is part of what I love most about this book.

Bill Weinberger said...

I agree that this is an asset for this story. Since Gatsby is almost entirely about the characters and their time, and not so much the particular place, it works. I usually read things that are more plot-driven and descriptive, so I was noting that this was different. It is something for me to keep in mind as I attempt my own writing. Thanks for visiting.