Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This! (Bob Newhart)

[***] ISBN: 1401384862 (abridged CD) 1401302467 (hardcover)

I love Bob Newhart. My dad shared his humor with me, so I shared this book with him for his birthday and then downloaded the audio version from the library. It had me giggling in the car. Even routines that are as old as I am (since both my life and Bob's career started in the 1950's) brought at least a smile. They're no longer fresh. But they are still funny.

What's richer is hearing Bob tell them in the context of the story of his career. Sometimes he let's us in on where the idea came from, or how much work it was to create or how someone stole his material. His life has been interesting, but not overly so (other than being a celebrity). He's just this guy from Chicago.

There's nothing shocking here. Yes, he smoked and quit. Yes, he drank and still does. But, thank God, neither has led to real tragedy. He courted and stayed married. He raised kids. He has not renounced his faith or church. He kept working and still does. I still like Bob Newhart.

No comments: